Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bar story, w/my and my Czech literature professor friend.

The other week to celebrate doing my last Hebrew assignment, I texted my one Czech literature professor friend to find out if she wanted to meet and have a drink to celebrate, and it turns out that she was already downtown having a drink to celebrate her last day of teaching class for the quarter, so I headed down there to meet her.

We were at this casual restaurant-bar right downtown that dates from the 1950s and where everyone goes to, and we talked a lot about Nabokov before 3 business guy bro-types sat down to her left.

The one right next to her kept staring over, and struck up a conversation with her.

Somehow, he kept talking sports, and he told us what teams he liked, and then, he asked her, "So what do you follow?".

I couldn't help it, and so when she started saying the Eagles, I bust in and was like, "Oh, postmodernism, non-narrative novels, and symbolist poetry," which made her laugh really hard.

The guy, on the other hand, just looked confused.

Somehow, I also brought up the Lou Perlman boyband sex scandal at some point, which killed the conversation for a while, especially when I re-told the part about how Nick Lache's mom said that "that blowjob almost tore our family apart."

Later, the guy to my friend's left was telling us about how he and his brother went to a Red Sox game in Boston, and they had their picture taken in the dugout, since his brother was a fireman and post-game asked a cop if they could go on the field and take a picture, "as a professional courtesy."

He re-told their conversation, and was like, "I said, 'Bro, let's go down there and ask,' and he was like, 'Dude, sure.'"

No comments: