Sunday, November 28, 2010

Exploitation of migrant workers.

Like over a week ago when I was at school I ran into the (black) administrative assistant I'm good friends with, and she asked me how was that surprise dinner with my neighbor who I used to campaign for Obama with in Indiana.

(I had seen her that morning, right after I found out that my friend was unexpectedly in town, that's how she knew.)

So, I told her about it, and then since in the past she was interested in my friend's job, I was telling her about how some of the U.S. companies sign up workers promising them 40 hour workweeks, and then work them 120 hours a week and if they complain they deport them.

"I honestly cannot believe that," I was like, and my friend was shaking her head, as she stepped in to the elevator to go upstairs to her office (I had run into her in the building foyer).

Then, I was like, "Actually, I can," and she was like, "I was thinking that too, that I can believe that," and she grimaced as the doors of the elevator closed and she was like, "Bye!".

No comments: