Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New job idea...

The census! Starting pay is like $18/hour to walk around and go door-to-door.

My mom was hesitant, but I was like, "Shit, Mom, I went door-to-door campaigning in Gary," and after a pause, she totally agreed, and was like, "I guess that's right."

Honestly, I enjoyed going door-to-door for Obama, and I did that for nothing, so why not do it for pay? It would make a nice complement to dissertation-writing work.

I went and took the test the other day... When the exam proctor was collecting them, me and some other test-takers started talking, and this one (black) lady who had worked it ten years ago laid it all out for me and was like, "And you know, the assholes you go to watch out for are all them people in [the yuppie neighborhood downtown], they mean, they don't answer surveys, they sic the concierge on you!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a good job for good pay. Why won't people work for the census. In Massachusetts they are paying $22 per hour.

el blogador said...

Here it's $18.75-20. It's only 5-10 weeks, but I can save up a lot of money for the summer.

JUSIPER said...

They might put you in charge, though, and not let you walk around, which is the only reason you want to do it.

el blogador said...

You know, I said I was interested in desk and walking jobs, and when they call me up, I can tell them otherwise...

Actually, maybe I should call them and tell them that I only want a walking job.