Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Updates from Gary.

So, yesterday during an advising meeting with my one professor who advises me, I found out that she's been going to Gary on weekends to volunteer for Obama. Three things:

1) She's been impressed by the civic culture of Gary too. She said that for example one (black) woman who she asked if she was going to vote was like, "I have been registered to vote for 27 years." Like my prof said, she didn't even say something like, "I have been registered to vote since I was 18 years old," but rather said the exact number... My advisor agreed, too, that Sarah Palin's "Main Street" rhetoric implies that white people are the moral heart of America.

2) She signed up for an absentee ballot a 103-year old (black) woman who was sick and could barely write, but was very excited to vote... On the absentee ballot application, the lady marked something like an "X" on her signature, not because she was illiterate, but because her sickness was so bad.

3) She was saying that it seems that a lot of (black) Gary residents are really wary of the new, convenient early voting locations that just opened up in the vicinity of Gary... People either go up to the original voting location when they can, or are waiting till election day, since they're afraid something's weird going to happen with these locations and their vote won't count, since Republicans were challenging the opening of the voting locations in the first place.

Also, when I was like, "I need to stop reading political stories and election blogs, I find myself doing that like 45 minutes a day," my advisor was like, "If only I could read political stories and election blogs for 45 minutes a day!"

4 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Clearly your advisor isn't as efficient in her use of time as you are.

el blogador said...

I know, she should totally be volunteering in areas where she, being white, can talk with undecided voters. The black volunteers in Gary told me I shouldn't spend my time volunteering in Gary since they could handle that.

JUSIPER said...

How did they say it to you? Like what kind of tone of voice, etc?

el blogador said...

Like they were trying to nicely tell me something I should have thought of already, being like, "You know, you can talk to other white people in a way we can't, so have you thought of going to another campaign office and helping out there?"