Monday, February 15, 2010

Marcus Aurelius Trivia / Yet more books.

My one (white) friend from Mississippi has been reading through the correspondence of the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius with his former teacher, Fronto... He told me that every once in a while Fronto reminisces fondly about kissing his pupil.

"That was the times, man," he was like.

He also said that he immediately thought that that would be a great topic for a book, and then the next thing he knew in his research he came across a book that someone had written on that very topic (though I'm not sure if it's the one I just linked to, which is more an edited collection of those letters).

Also, I liked my idea of putting the books I'm getting rid of next to the library copies so in case anyone looking for the book on-shelf wants my copy, they can take it, so today I put these on shelf next to the library copies:

a) a shitty English translation of Augustine's "De Trinitate" (actually, not the translation I linked to, fyi).

b) Rudolf Bultmann's "New Testament & Mythology".

c) C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity".

I hope someone can use them!

Also, I hope the library doesn't catch me! I don't think they have a way of tracing this shit back to me, but still...

It's kind of funny, when you think about it - with library jobs I've held before and I've shelf-read to see if any books have been mis-shelved, I've never once come across a non-library book... I wonder what the future shelf-readers will think! Will they talk about it amongst themselves, and about who would have done this?

No comments: