Monday, January 18, 2010

Soup I.

I am trying out a modified version of this potato-leek soup a friend sent me (modified since I don't have a blender, and buying a hand-blender doesn't really make sense for me since I've never needed one for like 6-7 years, so why buy one for just this recipe?):

Soupe Poireaux Pommes de Terre

- 1 kg (2.2 pounds) leeks, preferably organic, the thinner the better
- 450 g (1 pound) potatoes (Monalisa, Bintje, Yukon gold), smooth and firm, about 4 medium
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Crème fraîche, for serving (optional)

Serves 4.

Trim the leeks, keeping about 6 cm (2 1/2 inches) of the green part. If your leeks are on the thick side, remove and discard the often fibrous outer layer. Carve a deep slit all along the length of the leeks, driving your knife almost to the other side, but not quite, to expose all the layers. Run each leek in turn under a stream of cold water, green part down, to wash away the sand and grit. Squeeze off the excess water.

Separate the white from the green parts. Discard the toughest green leaves, and set aside the most tender. Slice the leek whites thinly. Peel and dice the potatoes. Put the sliced leeks and diced potatoes in a saucepan and add 1 liter (4 cups) cold water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat.

Season with salt, lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Purée the soup using a blender, stick blender (my choice), or food mill. Taste, adjust the seasoning, and return over low heat.

Cut the reserved leek greens in superfine strips with a sharp chef's knife. When the soup returns to a simmer, add the leek strips, stir, and remove from the heat. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve hot, with a spoonful of crème fraîche and a few resolute turns of the pepper mill.

I hope it turns out well. I'm going to dice the potatos fine and cut the leeks thin. I will also spit in the soup, to express my contempt for the French people, from whom the recipe and so much of the world's misery came.

No comments: