Friday, January 22, 2010

I'm really worked up: Helath care and corporate free speech.

I'm really worked up by this Massachusetts senator thing and what it might mean for the fate of health care. I really want to email Nancy Pelosi and my congressman from home not to drop the ball on health care. If health care dies for a generation, insurance companies will keep profitting off of people dying, and people without insurance will continue to be needlessly sick and die when it was preventable.

I don't usually get this worked up about legislation, but now I really am... Perhaps because I'm older, and so many people I know personally back in Michigan have done so much that's right all their lives and are getting fucked over by job layoffs?

I'm also really upset over this recent Supreme Court decision about company spending for elections. I can't believe that conversative justices portray themselves as not being judicial activists, when they're schills (sp.?0 for big corporations), just like the GOP presidents who nominated them all.

It's hard to belive that we're beyond Bush's presidency but still feeling its effects so much. I hope that a few decades from now this too will turn out to be a minor blip, though I don't know how...

A common link between the issues is a class thing pitting corporations against everyday people, but that's not all the reason I'm so upset, I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My feelings exactly. I made a point of getting back in time (despite a cancelled flight) and at least cast a vote for Coakley, if not as an ideal candidate at least as the Democrats' chosen proxy for Ted Kennedy's final efforts to support health care reform (I flew in an hour before the polls closed and just made it). Now I find myself repulsed by the venom, bigotry and selfishness of those who cheer the Republicans' relentless push to derail health care and destroy Obama on the backs of the sick and destitute. The Supreme Court decision only adds further salt to those wounds. L.