Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yet more soup (actually, stew).

I made some Hungarian stew the other day, as part of my attempts to cook more soups this winter.

(The rules - fresh produce and spices, nothing from a can; I hate cooking using processed foods if I can help it.)

I sauteed 3 sliced-up green peppers in olive oil with an onion, then cooked down 10lbs of plum tomatoes with a ton of paprika and a little chili powder, then I diced up like 8lbs of peeled potatoes. Later, I added a pack of hotdogs cut up, and a pack of Polish sausage.

Interestingly, meat is so expensive ($2.79 for the hotdogs and $4.39 for the Polish sausage), that that made up a disporportionate amount of the cost of the soup (tomatoes were $.99/lb, green peppers 3 for a dollar, and the potatoes $.99 for an 8-lb. bag).

The potatoes weren't that good, saddly, so I'm thinking now I should have sprung for the more expensive ones.

Tonight at least 2 friends are coming over to get some to take home. I'm stoked! It's fun feeding people when they're stressed out and living on junk food (it's midterm time here).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sending you my favorite vegetarian soup recipe.

el blogador said...

Please do, whoever you are! Next week is cabbage soup, or lentil (and then the other the week after).

Anonymous said...

can you get more processed than hotdogs and sausage?

el blogador said...

That's true, but they're necessary for the soup... Why use processed vegetables when you don't have to?

I tell people that I'm a partial raw foodist. Only, when I eat out, I do tend to eat really unhealthy highly-processed foods.