Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mexican restaurant serving girl.

Last Friday after seeing Bob Dylan in concert, me and the (white) people I went with stopped by a 24-hour taqueria, since one of my friends was hungry and he likes the food there.

So, the place was crowded - this table of 8 had gotten in before us and it took them forever to set them up with waters and chips, only for them to tell the waitress when she came to take their order that like, "Uh, we want this to go," while one of the fatter young white women was like, loudly and sarcastically, "...while we eat the chips you gave us" - so this younger serving girl (like 15 or 16? her family must have owned the restaurant) came out to give us chips and menus and take our drink orders.

Then, later the waitress came, and one of my (white) friends order 2 tacos, and the other of my friends ordered a chicken burrito, and I ordered some beef soup.

Like 15 minutes later, the younger serving girl (not the waitress, things were busy) comes walking past with the soup, and I wave at her to signal it's for me, and she smiles and shakes her head and goes to this back table with 3 Mexicans that had come in just after us. I looked at my friends and I shrugged, but then she's right there putting the soup in front of me.

"Sorry!", she was like, brightly, "But I didn't think you would order that."

With that, she left to go back to the kitchen to get my friends's food, and when she got back, I asked her if it was because there was tripe in it or something.

"Oh no," she was like, very nicely, "It's just that you guys usually order stuff like chimichangas and burritos."

4 comments:

JUSIPER said...

"you guys" = white guys or "you guys" = your group of friends? and what happened to the white girl who ate the chips?

el blogador said...

"you guys" as white guys.

they eventually got their takeout and left.

Anonymous said...

You ate tripe? L.

el blogador said...

No, that's what I thought she meant when she was like, "I didn't think you'd order that" - i.e., there was some nasty ingredient in it that whites wouldn't be used to, though it turned out to be a menu item little ordered by whites.