Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Purple sweater.

The other week I pulled out all my winter clothes from my plastic zippered bag (instead of pulling out random pieces as I needed them, as I had been doing), and it turns out that my maroon sweater had gotten a small moth hole in it, and my deep purple, 100% wool sweater that I paid full price for and wore when I dressed up had like 6 all up on the right upper chest and sleeve, including 3 big ones.

I was pissed at first, but I quickly employed techniques from Stoics like Epictetus, and asked myself whether I expected anything perishable to last forever anyhow, and I reminded myself that I shouldn't be attached to material possessions, and my anger soon passed.

Like half a year ago, another friend who does religious studies said she's afraid of losing her cat she loves so much, so every morning when she cuddles her she thinks of how she'll be dead soon and imagines her rotting in her hands.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is creepy.

Anonymous said...

If that makes you feel better,great. Your friend, however, is nuts. She should just enjoy her cat. Does she pick her parents or whoever else she loves rotting before her eyes? Creepy is right! You could consider investing in a cedar chest for your sweaters. God helps those who help themselves.

Anonymous said...

Natural moth repellants
Dried lavender
Cloves
Rosemary
Mint
Thyme
Cinnamon sticks
Eucalyptus
Peppercorns
Dried lemon peel
Cedar (chips, balls, planks or essential oil–cedar lined closets, drawers or trunks)
You can make sachets to stash in drawers, trunks or hang in closets out of pretty cotton fabrics, plain cheesecloth, muslin, linen or clean nylons (knee highs or cut pantyhose).

Anonymous said...

We all know you have plenty of those cut pantyhose.

JUSIPER said...

Your birth mom posts here?!

You have too many sweaters as it is.

el blogador said...

I went to the hardware store to get cedar the other day - they were out. I'll have to stop by again to get some (they should have re-ordered by now).