Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Addendum.

I forgot --

The other weekend when I was at a wedding I was talking with one guy who I know from college who spent time studying abroad in France, and when we were talking about European racism I launched into my British friend's stories about experiencing racism in France, and he said he went to Paris as this wet-behind-the-ears American kid prepared to look down at the U.S., and after like a week of North African students his age accosting him at bars and launching into 10 minute stories about how horrible things were in France and how they wished they lived in the U.S., he said he changed his mind some.

He said all of the stories were very personal too, like how someone's grandmother fell with grocery bags on a busy street, and no (French) person would help her up.

No comments: