Thursday, April 30, 2009

Went to the sex documentary thing last night.

So, last night I went to the sex documentary thing again with my one friend who works at the rape crisis hotline.

The topic was elementary education about homosexuality, and the discussion afterward turning into a broader discussion of how to effect political change.

When the issue of inflammatory terminology came up, Steve the BDSM guy said that BDSMers get stuck with everything, including Sodomites, and when I brought up how that one religious right group would change terms in articles linked to its page from "gay" to "homosexual" since they thought "homosexual" was more inflammatory, and they got caught because athlete Tyson Gay became Tyson Homosexual, he laughed, and was like, "And that's a lot harder to fit on the back of your jersey, too!"

Later, the swinger lady said that with her three kids, and this was back in the early 80s, she made sure that they had gay babysitters and made a point of having her gay friends over to the house as couples, as well as explaining what homosexuality was so that they knew there was nothing wrong with it, and grew up being open and thinking nothing of it.

She also added she herself grew up strict evangelical and was one for a long time, and went off on a tirade on the close-mindedness of the religious right, and how when they say the path to hell is broad and the path to heaven is narrow, they're really talking about people's minds.

When me and my friend left, this one bigger early-30s black lady who kind of dropped as an aside during discussion that she's a sex worker - a pro-dom, I wonder? (= professional dominatrix, I think) - and often feels stigmatized when talking to liberals and always wears this nice black-and-white houndstooth coat gave me a hug and a double-cheek kiss like the French do, and said something like "See you next Tuesday."

Afterwards, when my friend and I left and debriefed about everything, we started talking about the swinger lady's being evangelical. "Wow," my friend was like, "She really has done everything."

No comments: