Monday, April 27, 2009

Late 60s movie...

So, last week I went to go see the late 60s movie "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" on the big screen. I had know that it was about two couples who discover sexual freedom and get involved with each other, but what I didn't know is that the whole 1st 10 minutes of the film is one couple at one of those 24-hour est-type seminars where you're locked in a room and no one can leave till everyone sorts out their issues.

That made me think of how one time this past year my mom was talking about how the training for when she was a stewardess... "I've always understood cults after that," she said, and then she explained that everyone at training was cut off from their family and they gave you a new vocab about everything and they watched you pretty closely and they kept you pretty regimented, and that they only let them leave the abandoned airfield outside of Houston (or was it Dallas?) where they had the training only once in all of 6 weeks, and that was to go to a mall for a short afternoon, and she felt herself acting differently, and since then she's always had a lot of sympathy for people who get into cults.

I also (on another, totally different track) remember checking out "The Thornbirds" from the local public library when I was in middle school, and being completely enthralled when the one woman's German lover begins to make love to her on a bearskin rug and she goes to turn out the light, but he stops her hand and says that he always makes love with the light on.

No comments: