Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Talked with my (older black) friend Sunday night.

Last night I talked with my older black friend who mans the library security desk. While we were talking, now and then a person would come up and start to say that they didn't have their ID card, they were visiting from somewhere, etc., and she would start to listen, but after 5 seconds she would get bored, and she'd hit the button to open the gate and let them.

"I'm not supposed to do that," she was like, "But I figure, if you want a book, come in and learn."

She also said she didn't like Beyonce at the inauguration, and they should have gotten Etta James to come and sing "At Last" instead of her.

She also said at some point she was pretty gassy that day.

Later, when she asked me what I did this weekend and I said karaoke, she said she'd done that before, and when I asked what, she said some Aretha song I'd never heard of before.

I asked what she'd do now, and she said "At Last", by Etta James.

She then asked me what was my favorite artist to do songs from, and when I said Barry Manilow, she was like, "Who's that?".

She did know Paul Simon's "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard", though, and Patsy Cline's "Crazy", both of which I sang this weekend at hipster karaoke (where, interestingly, the older hispanic bartender had torn out the downstairs men's bathroom and replaced it with two smaller ones, a mens and a womens because of all the female hipsters who come in on karaoke night, so they wouldn't have to go upstairs to go to the restroom).

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Where's the parentheses around "black?"

el blogador said...

I fucked up - I guess sometimes I see her as black first and a friend second, and not just as a (black) friend. I'm trying my best, though.