Thursday, January 8, 2009

Shaving Cream / Documentary.

The other day I ran out of shaving cream and got some from the dollar store downstairs. It was made in China and smells a little funny -- it hissed a lot when I first used it, too -- but I like the logo... It's all professional and slick American-looking, but instead of "MAX" in blue cursive with a downward-jutting "X", it says "MARX".

I just found out about this documentary playing at the film center downtown at the end of this month:

STRANDED:
I’VE COME FROM A PLANE THAT CRASHED IN THE MOUNTAINS
2008, Gonzalo Arijón, France, 126 min.

"Intimate, terrifying and positively riveting."--Andrew O’Hehir, Salon.com

"An exceptional film, at once disturbing and elevating, deliberate yet powerful."--Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

"Packs a knock-out punch."--John Anderson, Variety

The facts made it the biggest news story of its day: a fatal 1972 plane crash in the snow-covered Andes, the near-miraculous emergence of 16 young rugby players weeks after hope had been abandoned, and finally, the startling revelation that the living had survived on the bodies of the dead. The personal story of the survivors in their own words and in face-to-face interviews has never been told, despite the book Alive! and a subsequent Hollywood movie. From their perspective, director Arijón, a childhood friend of the victims, movingly recounts with sensitivity and unprecedented detail, the crash, 72 days of perilous survival, and 35 years living with the aftermath. In Spanish with English subtitles. 35mm. (BS)


I'd go if I wasn't so squeamish. I wonder what it's like to live with cannibalism for 25 years. Ever since I've read this film description, every time I'm out with a group of friends, I've been thinking of what would happen and we were stranded and how I'd feel if I had to eat their corpse to survive.

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

I think you'd do it. You love life too much not to.