Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gave some sausage away.

So, yesterday I gave my four-and-a-half pounds of sausage away. I threw some at some faculty assistants and some deans, and discovered that a few black faculty assitants are vegetarians and a couple have a fear of sodium, as well as some other stuff:

1) One coordinator of something-or-another was like, "What's in it?", and as soon as I said pork, preservatives, and a lot of sodium, she was like, "Thanks but no thanks!" I had forgotten she was Jewish, and told her that she'd be at the top of the list next time I came by with beef or venison sausage.

2) When I stopped by this other office and the older white faculty assistant said it was too much sodium for her, this relatively famous professor of Hinduism who I really don't know walked in, and I made her take four. "This is good!", she was like, as she walked out, biting into one. A non-vegetarian Indian friend of mine was sorting mail in the same office, too, and I made her take four, though she had no place to put them and just had a notebook and pencil with her and was going straight to class.

3) When after lecture I gave like eight to my one Dutch prof to share with her kids and husband, when we had said bye and the kid behind me in line came up to talk with her, she was like, "This is how you get an A," and stuffed them in her purse.

4) When I stopped by the fundraising coordinators office to give her some sausage, they were already running out, but I offered her however many she wanted, and she took three, to help flavor a lentil soup she was making. "Spread the cholesterol around!", she was like, and then showed me the cat that she's been keeping in her office, which she had seen outside all Christmas break and figured was a stray.

5) When I was at the ATM depositing my stipend check, I ran into another ph.d. student and was like, "Want a sausage?", and without a beat, he was like, "Yes, please!"

No comments: