Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cheryl "Salt" James's one regret.

From last week's N'Digo: The Magapaper for the Urbane:

Hip-hop trio Salt-n-Pepa have filmed a reality TV show to mark their comeback. The Grammy Award-winning band broke up in 2002 when Cheryl "Salt" James quit to combat bulimia and depression. The women did not speak for five years, but are now shooting The Salt-n-Pepa Show for VH1 as they attempt to resolve their issues.

"Our relationship started to go sour," James said. "We were having communication issues and it just got hard. And, I was getting worse and worse with my bulimia and depression. I knew that this could be very harmful to me. I just wanted to figure out who I was apart from this group. The way I ended things was bad. And, I’ve apologized. I’m still getting over the guilt issues over the way I did it..."

The born-again James is expressing her more spiritual side, leaving the raunchy lyrics and double-entendres behind, much to the chagrin of her once-and-current soul mate, who still embraces the more sexual nature of Salt-N-Pepa. With songs like "Push It," "Whatta Man," and "Let's Talk About Sex," defined the group's brash yet innocently catchy approach to sex, making the female rappers ground-breakers in the male-dominated world of hip-hop.

"I embrace Salt-n-Pepa, and I'm not ashamed of anything that we did," James says. "But I was a person expressing myself in my twenties. I'm a Christian now. I've had a transformation. Young people are so delusional about the music industry, and being irresponsible is very popular. I left that life and found a better life focused on things that are more important, like family and God. I don’t regret doing some of the songs in the past and that’s a big misconception. People have been saying ‘how can she be ashamed of what she’s done?’ And that really wasn’t what I was saying. I’m very proud of what we’ve done and I work really hard to build Salt-N-Pepa. It’s just that the way I expressed myself in my 20s is not the way I choose to express myself now. I was a different person then. I’m going through a transformation. My mind has been renewed and I have different things I want to say. But the only song I kind of regret, not even the whole song but the lyrics is, "If she want be a freak and sell on the weekend.""

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

Too bad spiritual rap doesn't have much of a market.