Monday, October 22, 2007

Two stock sayings: white, balls.

When I read Freakonomics a few months ago, I was struck by how the statistically whitest name in the U.S. is "Dov" (a typically Jewish name, it's Hebrew for 'bear'; I think what happens is that Hebrew proper names from the Bible like "Isaiah" and "David" get mixed in enough with the black population that they don't appear on the list of hte whitest names, but Hebrew non-proper names are typically Jewish and thus rocket those names among the white population). So, now whenever I see a guy in my doctoral program by that name, I'm always like, "Dude, you are so white." I don't think he thinks it's funny, though when I told him about the Freakonomics name-list thing, he found it mildly interesting.

My new phrase as of a year ago, too, if it's hot out, is, "Man, I'm sweating my balls off in here."

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

Somehow that sounds kind of gross.