Sunday, October 21, 2007

Two black women: inside the pharmacy, outside a salon.

On Friday night on my way home after dinner I stopped by the pharmacy to pick up some stuff, and the place was hopping. When I was coming back up front from the cold/flu section, this older guy with a gray goatee and earring who works for the local paper and his wife, who was also older and had short short hair and a leather jacket, were walking a few steps in front of me, and somehow the woman rather forcefully bumped this young black pharmacy worker who was going the opposite way, only she never turned around and apologized, even though the pharmacy worker just turned back to look at her and was like, "Excuse me?" Finally, after a few moments, when she got no response from the woman and she saw that the woman was just keeping on walking, she just said loudly, "Ignorant," and turned and went back on her way.

On Saturday afternoon when I was coming back home with my groceries and was walking in front of a black hair salon on the main business strip between the grocery store and my house, this grizzled, thin old black woman practically fled out the door and leaned back against the wall and lit up her cigarette like she really needed it, and after one deep inhale, she stared out into space and shook her head a little and said to no one in particular, "Free at last."

No comments: