Friday, September 7, 2007

Some thoughts on Hispanics: Mexicans, Spaniards.

Everytime I see a bunch of Mexicans, I'm surprised by how short they all are.

Also, my thoughts on the Spanish have been changing. Since Spanish is the most vulgar outcome of vulgar Latin, I've never been predisposed to like Spain, since even though many hispanic colonial cultures are vastly more degenerate, Spain is nevertheless the source of that degeneracy, only with the added sin of pretense.

But, the colorful way the Spanish dress has been winning me over to their culture. I've always kind of noticed and liked the colorful clothes in Almodovar movies -- I'm a sucker for splashy color -- but the more Spanish I've met, the more I realize they really do dress like they're in Almodovar movies all the time, and the more I love them for that. At the conference I went to like a month ago, one very dignified prof from Spain wore a light gray suit with a melon shirt underneath and some colorful tie, and one of his students had her hair died this trashy red and wore a lot of off-the-shoulder polyester dress tops with big bright polka dots, as well as these hip thick-framed glasses. I really just want to go to Madrid now and sit out on a parkbench and watch all the Spanish walk by. I bet that shit is crazy.

No comments: