Thursday, September 12, 2024

Some memories of my father.

When I was back in my hometown, my father was reminiscing about seeing the Statue of Liberty when coming over into New York harbor on the boat as a boy, and about how the five of them in the family slept in 2 cots, him and his younger brother with their mother, and the eldest brother with their dad, my grandfather.

He was also saying that when he got into school and was very very young, somehow he got told that he could never be president since he was foreign-born, and it made him cry.

(He was like five or six.)

He was also saying that five of his classmates ended up dead in Vietnam, and he actually had his toothbrush packed and was fully ready to go when the recruiter stopped by their house and said that there had been a change in draft ages and so he was no longer scheduled to go.

No comments: