Friday, September 13, 2024

Some interactions with a (Guatemalan) coworker…

…at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, who I make the “Sunday” jokes with:

1) I’m in the basement scooping out ice cream on a lunch shift, and he says that he’s never had any from the restaurant, and so I scoop out a little bit and drop it in his hand so he can try some.

2) Later that shift, he says he wants to buy some ice cream for the other two (Guatemalans) working that day so that they can have it with their shift-meals between lunch shift and dinner shift, and it turns out that he wasn’t aware that employees get 50% off on everything that they order when they’re working.

3) Like a few days later, the shift has ended and he’s coming out to have lunch and I’m pumping out some jumping jacks that I had left from all the customers who had come in that day, and as he walks by, without even looking at me, he’s like, “Gordo” (“Fat”), and he goes to sit down, so afterwards when I’m by there and he’s already started eating, I stand over him and point somewhere and am like Mira, mira (“Look, look”), and when he goes to look away to look and he’s looking in another direction, I start making big play-motions like I’m rapidly scooping all of his food into my mouth, and when he looks back and sees me, I stop and I’m like, “Cuidado, senor, eso gordo va comer toda tu comida” (“Careful, Mister, this fat man is going to eat all of your food”).

No comments: