Sunday, April 28, 2024

A springtime diversion.

As everything is blooming, with sprouts and bulbs and buds of light green filling the trees, I'm looking for the first signs of what I call "the demon trees," that is, that invasive species "the tree of heaven" that's everywhere around me and which my landlord removed a big one of them from the yard by my cottage like last year or maybe two years ago.

There, the bark around the stump is rotting and starting to peel away, and I can already easily kick some off, after the winter.

And, though it was sending out shoots last year, this year there don't appear to be any, yet.

But, like last week, I had the curtain open in my kitchen, and looking out into my neighbor's yard where there's an old falling-apart garage that no-one uses, I could see the outlines of the thin long woody shoots of the demon trees that have grown up by its walls over the past several years, and the very tippy-tops of them seem to be throwing off their palm-fronds, again.

No comments: