Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Separate genesis of ideas.

The other day at work at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker told me that her and my (new-ish) (younger) (tall) (Thai) coworker had been talking about (South Asian from South Asia) customers, and they had agreed that they probably were so badly behaved because of the caste system.

"No way," I was like, and then I told her that I had been thinking the very same thing, a while ago.

And, we talked about how often one requests something like a mug of hot water, and then after you bring that someone else makes a request for the very same thing, and then after you bring more a third time someone else wants some too, and they do this even if you check each time if anyone else wants anything else, and even if you confirm immediately afterward that you only need to bring like one whatever to the table.

"But it could be the caste system in a different way," I was like, then, floating the idea that it's not some entitled behavior because they know they're from a rich person caste, but rather because maybe back home in (India) people from the servant-whatever caste don't dare push back even tactfully like a waiter would here, when they ask if anyone else needs anything else. And so, their bad behavior goes unchecked and gets ingrained.

At least, that was my idea.

No comments: