Sunday, February 11, 2024

A good year.

Recently, I had a major major major breakthrough with the one ancient language that I've been studying intensively for the past like 5 years, and it's put me in an extremely good mood, where I've been feeling like high for like a month.

So, basically, with this language, although I don't think it could have been avoided, they f*cked up something big that goes right to the heart of the grammar and right to the heart of major texts, and though it doesn't so much affect current translation values as perceive different structures and add a few nuances and open up translations into difficult passages, not to mention streamline the story of the language's development over time and make it vastly more intelligible, it seems pretty decisive, and once some details are worked out and it gets accepted by the field, no-one will ever be able to learn this well-known language without going through me and my major insight, ever again, and all the grammars that have ever been written will just look wonky and off, in at least one major portion of them.

The past few things I've done with this language have been pretty big picture too, but this is so much bigger picture, it doesn't even compare.

Like, with just around 40% of this idea, when I mentioned it to an old friend over the phone, she was like, "They didn't know that?".

Though there's good work going on with this language, and increasingly so, it really does make the whole field look like shit.

Like, on a listhost I'm on, they recently had an advertisement for an open enrollment language course put on out of some academic place, and I just kept reading it and was like, "I can't believe there's people out there teaching this language right now without knowing this," it's just that insane.

And, it makes everything so much simpler and less esoteric to learn, that I feel it's just going to set some people in the field off, where, to the extent that they are forced to notice or engage with it, they will be absolutely vicious and attempt to tear me down in any way possible, since it's just that big.

For the first time ever perhaps in my life, too, I have found myself thinking, "This is going to be a good year."

I'm not sure if I've ever really thought in those terms, before.

That said, I'm typing all this up and putting it in a Word file and entrusting it to like 3 people, so they can release it to another scholar for them to put online in case something should happen to me like I get hit by a car, because that would really, really suck, both for me, and for study of that language as a whole.

No comments: