Wednesday, February 14, 2024

A conversation with a local artist.

A few weeks ago I was socializing with this one (later middle-aged) (ostracized) local artist who I've gotten to know from around town in the (college) town that I now live in, and I was gushing about my big finding in the one ancient language that I've been studying for a few years, now.

And, I told her that I felt that it was super weird, but it made me think about death, and I was actually writing up everything in nuce in a file to give to a confidante or two or maybe even three, so that the findings can reach the world in case I accidentally get hit by a car or something before I have a chance to publicly present them, since it's such a major advancement for the entire history of that language's study, it would be a shame if somehow it didn't reach the light now, since who knows when someone else would come along who would have that same major realization again.

Like, there's other stuff I'm working on with that language, but other people could get that stuff with a little effort, so I try to get that out there quickly but I don't really worry about it in the same way at all, while this is just a whole different level of work, both in intricacy and importance.

"No, I get it," she was like, and she said that back when she was in the process of making the one big project that she's kind of known for, she often had the thought, "Please don't let me die now, I need to get this thing done, then I can go," and she said that it was refreshing to be around someone who was in that same headspace.

She also gave me one big piece of life advice: 

Never make enough money to where you can't qualify for Medicaid, since Medicaid is like the bomb.

No comments: