Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Some more restaurant happenings:

1) A (late 20s) (white) (blonde-haired) app delivery driver is waiting and waiting and one item keeps not being ready yet, so he finally cancels the order and leaves.

And, before he finally does that and goes, we chat some, and he says for some reason customers from our restaurant in particular don't tip the app driver that well, comparatively, and if it's an order that's like 7 miles away, if they do that, he actually loses money on gas with what the app pays him, which is actually just like a couple dollars per order.

"What a racket," I was like. "I feel like the internet has destroyed so many jobs, and it's just like nothing but sh*t like that nowadays."

And, he agreed, though he also said that he does this for spare cash since he took a pay-hit to work at a non-profit and do counseling there for $55K a year, versus the six figures that he could be making elsewhere.

"It would really suck if this was all I had," he was like.

2) When I deliver (five) crab rangoons to a (white) couple, I position it between them and say they'll have to fight over who gets the fifth.

"Her," the guy was like, pointing to his (husky-looking) woman. "She's pregnant."

And, we chat more here and there during their meal, and the woman says that she's never been a watermelon person, but with her first kid, she craved it, and there were times when she actually sat down and ate an entire watermelon at one go, just a whole watermelon, at once.

3) When a table of three (older) (lower-class looking) (white) people go to order, one woman asks me if she can sub out something from a sampler platter and sub in egg rolls, and I actually don't know if that's possible, so I go to say my standard line, "I don't know if we can do that, but I can go check," and as I say "I don't know if we can do that...", she leaps in and cuts me off and is like, "Well, can you go ask?".

And, I do, and my one (older) (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phones goes and calculates in her head, and finally she says that she can, but it will be two egg rolls and not one, and it will cost two dollars more.

So, I go back to the table and tell the (older) (white) woman that, and she's like, "I'm not paying that," and she just goes and orders a plate of fried dumplings.

No comments: