Friday, December 8, 2023

My autumnal idea for the (Thai) restaurant where I work now, for next year:

An autumn menu!

Like...:

1) Crab rangoons, only you make them with turkey and have a cranberry dipping sauce;

2) Cranberry fried rice, like the pineapple fried rice with cashews, only you do cranberries and walnuts and maybe bits of turkey fried in; and

3) Turkey satay (that's kind of a joke).

I was telling the (wife) owner with the tired face about this, and she said we'd need something with sweet potato, and we both immediately agreed that the thing to do would be sweet potato tempura slices, which is something that the (Japanese) actually do.

I really do think that if they hyped this "limited time" menu for a few weeks and then ran it from mid-Oct. to mid-Nov., that people would really get into it.

My one (chubby) (Thai) coworker says that a classic (Thai) comfort food is pieces of soft pumpkin put into a small omelette, and you serve it with a side of rice, and that her mom made her that a lot back when she was a kid.

"See!", I was like.

The one owner was also saying that for dessert, there's a variation of sticky rice with custard where you make the custard with pumpkin, and that's actually a thing in (Thailand) that you could do for that menu, too, though often they put it into the little scooped-out gourds, which is a lot of work.

I really do think that people would go for this stuff beyond what we already do, which is advertise more heavily our pumpkin curry, which you can always get anyways during any time of the year.

I ran the ideas by a few tables of (white) customers who I was chit-chatting with, and all of them were like, "I would eat that," when I mentioned stuff like my idea for turkey rangoons with cranberry dipping sauce.

"Yeah," I was like, "It's like the dishes where people are already combining turkey with cream cheese."

No comments: