Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Some interactions with a large (Arabic-speaking) party...

...the other night at the (Thai) restaurant:

1) The first of the three (Arabic-speaking) (30s-ish) couples arrives and they have no baby, but the (medium-level veiled) (ashy-skinned) woman is like, "We need a high chair."  So, I was like, "Okay," and then I was like, "When you say, 'We need a high chair,' it sounds like you are announcing a pregnancy, and I should say, 'Congratulations, I am so happy for you!'" And, the (darker) (moustachioed) guy smiled at the joke and was like, "Not yet, perhaps in several years."

2) That same couple later orders one of our items that has "devil" in the title, and since at that point the couples with children had arrived, I was like, "Are you sure you want to order the Devil Fish? That is a bad example for the children!"

3) Although we had tried to encourage them to order quickly and simply if they wanted a leisurely meal since it was getting towards the end of the night -- they didn't -- the one (Saudi-faced) guy from one of the other couples turned to me when I was clearing plates at the end, and was like, "I hope that we did not cause you too much pain."

4) When the whole party is done eating and lingering and the restaurant is otherwise empty and they just won't leave and we are just sitting around since we are done with all of our other work, my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker goes and dims one lightswitch, to dim like half the lamps on one side of the restaurant ceiling. And, I kind of hide, since I'm embarrassed to do that, even though I want them to leave, too. F*cking people.

No comments: