Thursday, August 10, 2023

Addendum.

After the two thefts happened at the (Thai) restaurant where I work now and we changed part of our delivery system in response, the one (tall) (thin) (Latino heritage) just-graduated-from-high-school kid with the (pale-skinned) (dyed-hair) (dark-colored-clothes-wearing) disaffected girlfriend who likes my jokes was asking me about it, and he seemed vaguely disturbed, like he was waking up from some sleep and had truly begun to perceive some other world existing around him that he had never known before.

"But how do they know there's anything here to take?", he was like.

"You can see from the front windows," I was like. "They can just walk by, look in quickly and see stuff out, and decide to come in."

And, he looked vaguely upset, and I added, "And, if it's busy in here, it's not like we'd notice that, and they could easily see all of the packages laying out."

And, he didn't have much to say, and the world being this way seemed slightly painful to him, nor did its devious way of thinking seem to come naturally to him.

"Have you seen Blue Velvet?", I was like. "It's by David Lynch, the guy who did Twin Peaks."

"No," he was like, and he said he had heard of him, but he'd never seen anything by him.

"Well, you need to see Blue Velvet now, now that you've seen the dark underbelly of small town life," I was like.

Then, I was like, "You should watch it with your girlfriend, like a date night."

And, he said he would, if he could stream it or download it.

. . .

(A part of me wondered if that was a little much, but they just came back from an unchaperoned weekend-long camping trip together, and he's wondering about these parts of life, so why not. And plus I think the girlfriend would dig it, though I think it might freak him out.)

No comments: