Saturday, August 26, 2023

Sage advice that I read years ago in an ethnography textbook:

If there's something social that you think is a trend, don't be worried if you miss fully recording it, observation-wise, since if it's truly a trend, it will continue to re-occur and you'll come across it again, as something truly socially relevant.

. . .

(I recently thought about this in relation to some popular writing that I was doing, since it was about a recent multi-year trend but I couldn't get it out into a popular forum in time in relation to two successive news cycle hooks...  Eventually, however, another one came around again, since it's truly a trend, and so I had a third occasion present itself, and I had a reason to finally throw it online, well over a year after drafting the initial piece!)

No comments: