Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Smoothing things over.

Recently, because the (Thai) owners of the (Thai) restaurant where I work now are on vacation with their family in (Thailand), my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker and my one (older) (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phones have been holding down the fort and one of them is always there whenever the restaurant is open, although the (husband) of the (Thai) owner couple is still making up the schedules remotely and I guess they're still in touch with him about stuff electronically.

Anyhow, one week after the final schedule was out, he withdrew the schedule like 12:30pm on a weekday, and he wanted me to work that night like 5-10pm, only I never saw it because I try to shut my phone down on my time off so I'm not tied to electronics, and not only that, I was working on a(n academic) article till super late at night, so I didn't see all the text messages and attempts at calling me until like 10:30pm that night, until after the whole shift was over and everyone had started to worry about me.

And, it turns out to have been a hugely busy night and they were shortstaffed, and my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker had to come in, but she only came in after the dinner rush, so my one (older) (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phones got stuck with a lot of work, after all the extra work that she's been putting in anyways.

Then, when that weekend comes around, I didn't notice that that same schedule change had also slightly changed another shift and that I was now supposed to come in at 4pm instead of 5pm, so by the time I come in at like 4:45pm, it's too late for my one (older) (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phones to take a break, even though she was working a double that day, after all the extra work that she's been putting in anyways.

And, I felt like shit and apologized profusely, and she was gracious and said it wasn't me, but the bad schedule change from the (husband) owner.

And, separately, when I also apologized to her, my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker said not to apologize to her, but to our (older) (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phones.

So, since she likes sweet baked goods, I had the idea to get her a giftcard from a local (Asian) specialty bakery that I had once gone by in the bus and seen her walking down the street by.

So, "Should I get ten or fifteen dollars?", I asked my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker.

"Fifteen," she was like.

No comments: