Sunday, August 27, 2023

I'm astounded at how I can really make bank at the (Thai) restaurant where I work now.

Tips were very good around student move-in due to parents in town, and this one week I was working a few extra shifts since the restaurant owners were back in (Thailand) with their family and because my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker asked me to work one night since she had (bad period pain), and so for like 30 hours across 6 shifts in one week I made my complete basic living expenses for the entire month (rent, utilities, groceries).

It's rather astounding...  One night even clocked in at like $32.40 an hour, between tips and base wage!

I really wouldn't have been able to do this even a few years ago, or back in the city that I used to live in.

For one, the recent increases in tipped minimum wage are what really makes the overall economic difference, to make it a worthwhile job, and you'd have been better off with a consistent job in eldercare even just a few years ago.

For another, if I lived back in the city that I used to live in, it's hard to get set up in a high-paying service industry job, and even if you do get a toehold somewhere decent, you'd need to work a lot more because it costs more to live there, and once you start pushing past 30 hours a week, you're just permanently tired, since it's such a physically-demanding job.

No comments: