Thursday, August 31, 2023

Cucumber problems.

The other week at the farmer's market in the college town where I now live in, the corncobs had earworms and I was too late for any kale or any leafy greens, so I ended up buying more cucumbers then usual, all of which I carefully selected.

I then lay them on my counter to keep them there like I usually do, and after cleaning in my apartment, I noticed that there was a little spot of juice when I moved one, although I assumed that that was just some water left over there from when I had wiped down the counter with a wet rag.

Like a day or two after that, though, when I went to move the cucumbers, I noticed that one had a little bit of just the faintest gray on one end, and when I went to move it, my hands immediately pushed through the skin, since it was rotting here and there on the surface, and in deep ragged cavities in like two places.

I immediately put it under running water and I ran my hands over it to get rid of all that, and I cut out the two cavity parts and ate it right away, but otherwise, I was wondering, how did it go bad so fast, when it had looked so normal?

I had had something like that happen at the very beginning of the summer with a cucumber that I had boughten without scrutinizing carefully, but now, it's happened again, which makes me think that this is some sort of problem endemic to cucumbers.

No comments: