Thursday, July 13, 2023

Repairs comment.

Last week in the middle of the night when a storm was coming in, I got up to go the bathroom and when I went to go flip on the lightswitch in my little cottage, it didn't go on, and for a second I thought the power was off, but then I realize I can still hear my box fan blowing and then I feel a drip fall onto my face, and then I realize that there's a leak starting right around the combination ceiling fan/light.

And, since I had already used my anti-procrastination app to block net on my smartphone until much later the next day, I couldn't do anything but wait until morning and pop into the library around the time that I was going to the farmer's market so that I could go and email the landlord, this (short and trim) (late 50s) (white) (conservative-leaning) doctor who is mildly hyperactive and very conscientious.

I ended up calling him, too, and he was on a short weekend trip with his family, but he said it was fine since the circuit was broken off like it should be in situations like that, so there wasn't a a risk of fire, and he'd be over the next day as soon as he got back.

He did come over then, too, and he drained the water that had pooled in the light fixture, and he looked around on the roof and realized that a plastic cuff that goes around an external chimney pipe there had broken and that that was what was letting the water in, and he told me all of that.

"It's good to know that at least this place is still safer than a Titanic submersible," I was like.

And, he didn't know what to say at first, but then he was like, "Pretty much everything else is."

No comments: