Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Conversation with an app developer.

Through people around town I happened to meet a (somewhat out-of-shape) (prematurely balding) (South Asian) (graduate student) who works on language apps a few months ago, and when I randomly met them, I mentioned that I have been using DuoLingo to learn and refresh different languages that I need for fun and scholarship and whatnot.

And, he said that it was their competitor, and he started going into this whole big long thing about how it's not just learning a language, it's learning a culture, and it seemed like he was implying that DuoLingo doesn't teach culture but his competitor app would, and he just kept going on and on and on.

So, I put on a face and got indignant and was like, "Yes, I've been studying French for two months now, and none of my content has been anti-Semitic! Imagine, to learn French, and none of the content is anti-Semitic!"

And, I looked at him with a face like I was expecting agreement.

And, he didn't know what to do, and he really didn't have a response.

He soon began talking with someone else.

No comments: