Monday, April 17, 2023

Work exchanges.

So, at the (Thai) restaurant where I work now, the one (Guatemalan) cook who I joke with about being el diablo de la cocina ('the devil of the kitchen') because there's huge flames sometimes when he cooks, started asking me how you say santo in English.

So, I told him that it was "holy" as an adjective, and "saint" as a noun.

But, he hasn't started making jokes with that yet.

The other day, though, he and another worker were having their late lunch out in front during a slow period in the late afternoon, so I went to refill their water, and I asked them if they wanted one or separate checks.

But, they didn't understand the word "separate," so I had to repeat myself, and I asked if they wanted one or two checks.

"Three," he was like.

No comments: