Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Gluten free folk.

People who want gluten free in their orders are really f*cking whackjobs.

Like, the other day there was this (alternative-looking) (young) (black) guy in, and he wanted to know if we could make gluten-free crab rangoons.

"I don't think so," I was like, and I explained to him that there was gluten in the wontons.

"You don't have gluten-free wontons?", he was like.

He then also was asking about this one variety of fried rice, and I explained to him that there might be a little bit of gluten in the one particular sauce that they add to that one, so he asked me if I could go back to the kitchen and check, so, even though it was busy, I found myself running from all the way from the front of the restaurant to all the way in the back, to go and check on if there was even a little bit of gluten in that sauce.

(There wasn't, and he ordered it.)

Later, though, I was up at the table, and his friend had ordered the four-in-one sampler platter, and the gluten-free (black) guy was just going to town eating the breaded fishcakes and these shrimp things with these huge crispy breading offshoots that just spike up all over them.

Like, what the f*ck -- you have me run all the way to the back when it's busy to go check on if there's minute traces of gluten in some little bit of sauce in a dish you might get, but then you just go and eat deep-fried breaded shit from the appetizer platter that I brought your friend?

That's a real f*cked mentality.

I think a big part of it is that apart from people with like celiac disease, this gluten-free diet thing is more than a fad, it's pseudo-science, and people who are into pseudo-science tend to be wacky.

No comments: