Sunday, March 12, 2023

Two sets of customers from one day at the (Thai) restaurant (1 of 2): Earlier customers:

Early on that day before the massive rush, it was just two tables who came in early, including this table of three (white) (older) gentleman the one of whom would shuffle around and speak with tics and seemed somewhat overly literal and autistic, and this other table of this (early 40s) (aging) (white) hipster couple, the guy fatting and balding with tattoos up his one arm, and the woman trim and with a smart pixie cut, and their (vaguely hispanic) (curly brown-haired) small child, who has scrunched-up eyes and who's unresponsive to normal human interaction and who's in this bulky mechanized wheelchair that sticks out into the aisle over by the tables that are out of the way and where we usually never seat anyone, and who every once in a while gives out soft moans that you can hear throughout the entire restaurant.

And, when right before the couple leaves and I bring boxes to the table, the woman is adjusting some feeding tube for her son that's bigger in diameter than my thumb, that's wrapping around the armrest of the young child's wheelchair.

Anyhow, when we're winding down the shift and I'm entering in credit card receipts to adjust the tips, I get to this one, and it's like $6.66, and the amount makes like no sense at all since it's a pretty good tip but it doesn't make the bill add up to anything round -- sometimes people do that, to make a bill come out to fifty dollar exactly or whatever -- and besides that, it's from that part of the restaurant where we usually never seat anyone.

"Look at this," I was like to my one (tall) (skinny) (white) soundguy coworker.

"Someone must have really wanted to put down that number," he was like. "I wonder if it was that table of guys."

"No," I was like, and I pointed to the name on the receipt, "It's a woman! It must have been from that couple with the kid in the wheelchair."

And then, I was like, "How weird."

And then, I was like, "You know, there's more that goes on in [our reportedly boring part of the country] than people think."

"I'll say," he was like, and then he started telling me about some girl he grew up with who would always say she was a witch but really wasn't.

No comments: