Thursday, March 16, 2023

Return of the intense undergrad.

A few weeks ago at the (Thai) restaurant where I now work at, I was working an unusual weekend night shift and it was like the second busiest shift I've ever worked -- we were slammed -- and suddenly there in the door walk this (apple-shaped) (frizzy-haired) (white) (vaguely countercultural girl), a (young) (short) (white) (sexually ambiguous) (flannel-wearing) person who may have been either (male) or (female) or (trans) or (both), and that one (cleancut) (seemingly biracial Indian - white) guy with a surprisingly deep voice.

And, as I was like "Table for three?" and grabbed the menus and dashed them over to one of the few remaining empty tables, I stopped just beyond it and turned towards them and gestured to the table like I always do with customers, and as the intense undergrad went to sit down and passed by me, he turned towards me just a bit and winked at me a few times with his right eye, but awkwardly, like he's taking one of those classes on in-person flirting that I hear they offer sometimes at college campuses nowadays, to teach the overwhelmed children how they can act in-person in that part of their lives if they should so choose to do so, at some point.

And, it was so busy and it threw me off so much, I had no idea how even to respond, and I simply ran around the restaurant doing other stuff.

I guess to him I'm the hot daddy waiter who gives him little kicks now and then, when he comes in and I'm there?

It's like I'm a small prairie town attraction, for the hormone-addled youth.

Later I noticed that his (trans-seeming) dining companion was drinking a lot of water, and for fun I thought the next time that I went up to fill it up I'd make a comment about how "someone at this table is thirsty," but then they never drank anymore water, so I never had the chance to say it.

I'll have to keep that line in my back pocket, so that the next time he comes in and I go to take drink orders, I can ask everyone at the table like I usually do "if they want anything else to drink besides water," and then I can turn my eyes to his and hold them a little bit too long and and be like, "...in case you're thirsty," and maybe wink after I say that.

No comments: