Friday, January 27, 2023

Guatemalans (1 of 2): Backstory.

At the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, I was talking a very little bit with my one (Guatemalan) coworker the other day, the (younger) one who is very short and who knows a (Chilean) in the area from ESL classes.

He was saying he was tired, and I asked him how much he was working a week, and he said sixty hours.

"Too much," he was like.

"Do you have family here?", I was like.

"My brother," he was like, and then I asked him if they sent money home to the family, and he said that yes, they did.

(His brother works at the restaurant, too.)

One other day I was making a joke with him about beer or something, and he said he didn't drink, and then I asked him if he was Christian, and he was, and he wanted to say something but didn't know the word, so I was like, "Pentecostal?", and he was like, "Yes," and then he told me about a Vida Apostolica church that he goes to out on the edge of town, and I had to look it up on a map since I didn't know where it was.

No comments: