Tuesday, December 27, 2022

An insightful customer the other day.

Like 3 or 4 weeks ago at the (Thai) restaurant, these two (older) (white) (business-suited) men who seemed like lawyers came in -- we get a lot of business from the local courthouse -- and then when I was repeating their order back to them to make sure that I got it right, the one (fatter) and (older) one was like, "You are very, very detailed," and he left that comment just hanging, to show me that he saw who I was, somehow, as he looked deeply at me.

And, I told him that I had a Ph.D. and just kind of worked part-time at the (Thai) restaurant and lived in a cottage and did what I wanted in my time off, since the economy had been suffering a multi-sectoral collapse this past decade in areas where I'd been professionally s trying to set myself up, and it was kind of a trend, and other people my age I knew who were in a similar position were kind of arriving at the same place and doing the same thing.

"Living the dream," he was like.

And, he said that the economy had recently been unfair to a lot of people.

Then, the other guy asked me what I studied, and, I told him.

No comments: