Monday, September 5, 2022

A back-story to (Spanish) culture: Jamon.

So, when I was back in the city that I used to live in, my one lawyer friend from (Missouri) was showing me some pictures on her phone of her recent trip to Spain, and in the background of all these pictures, there was jamon hanging everywhere.

"Is that their cured meat?", I was like, pointing to some large dangling hocks in the background of yet another picture.

"Yeah," she was like. "They had jamon *everywhere*."

"Oh," I was like.

And then, I was like, "The sad part is, you think it's a cute native foodway, but then you learn it's actually a superstition to ward off the Jews."

. . .

(That's a joke, but when I recycled it and texted it or told it to a few people, no-one knew if it was true or not, just like she wasn't sure! And, I guess that tells you something about the nature of European cultural anti-Semitism.)

No comments: