Thursday, June 9, 2022

So, I ruined a book...

...or at least gave it enough damage that the local library made me pay for a replacement.

I was reading this new edition of a classic sci-fi novel while eating some (cherry or strawberry or raspberry) jello, and when I was bringing a spoonful of jello up to my mouth from the bowl, the jello slid off and bounced off the table and landed on the lower right corner of the book, where it stained the outside of the pages a bright red, and it even went inside a little bit at a few select spots and stuck the pages together, though I was easily able to open them up without damage as I went on to read and finish the book over the course of the next several weeks.

But, when I went to go return the book and showed them what happened, they sent me to the information desk, and the librarian there said that they don't accept stained books back, so I gave them like $16 for a replacement, and then they went and marked the book as discarded and gave it back to me.

So, I asked them for a black marker and marked off the library markings even more, and then I went and left it in one of those free little library boxes that was on the way home.

At least now someone else can enjoy it.

No comments: