Saturday, June 25, 2022

A child's fascination with rule-breaking and perhaps evil.

The last time I hung out with my one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend (the sister of the brother-sister pair) and her family, it was interesting to play with her 3 year old daughter.

Like over a year ago I found out that her daughter likes this one I guess pretty popular kids book "No, David!", which details all the ways that a little boy gets into trouble, before at the end of the book his mom or whoever gives him a hug and comforts him and is like, "Yes, David."

"It's total wish fulfillment and fascination with what you're not supposed to do," my friend's husband was like, when we were discussing the book then.

Anyhow, on this most recent trip, I was playing with her, and she had this wooden pizza where you could velcro the pieces together into a whole pie and velcro different toppings on top of it, so after we had arranged the toppings on the pizza and put it on the dining room table, I took her baby doll that she had handed to me and pretended to have it crawl towards the pizza.

"The baby wants the pizza!", I was like.

"Oh no, the baby wants the pizza!", her mom was like.  "Can the baby have pizza?"

"No, that's adult food," her daughter was like.

"So better go grab the pizza!", her mom was like, and her daughter ran over and got the pizza off the dining room table from in front of the baby doll that was crawling towards it.

"Oh no," I was then like, making the baby continue to crawl, "The baby's going to fall off the table!", and I had the baby keep going and going straight for the edge of the dining room table.

"Oh no, the baby's going to fall!", her mom was like, "Go help the baby!"

And, her daughter looked around nervously and wasn't sure what to do, and since she was still holding the pizza, her mom was like, "Here, give me the pizza, I'll hold it so you can go help the baby."

And, after her mom took the pizza, suddenly her daughter looked very distracted, first looking one way and then the other, and then taking a few very slow and very halting steps towards the table, and it suddenly became very obvious that she was purposefully dawdling, probably because she wanted to see what would happen next, if the baby doll fell off the table in my play scenario.

But, her mom encouraged her, and she ran over to help and then we told her that she did a good job, because she saved the baby.

But again later, I played that game again and had the baby doll hanging off the table by one arm and I had my fingers on its hand to keep it dangling, and when I said, "Oh no, look at the baby, the baby needs help, he's going to fall, he can't hang on!", she ran right over, only instead of helping the baby, she went right for my fingers and tried to pry them up.

No comments: