Monday, June 20, 2022

House mystery:

This huge bright area of light way up on the second story siding of the north face of the front house that's in front of my back cottage that I saw the other early evening when I went to go out for a walk, and which didn't seem to come from an overhead outdoor perimeter lamp or anything like that, and which showed the faint outline of the shadow of a tree trunk from a few feet in front of it, and which made me go up the street to see if I could find out if there was strong light coming in somehow from somewhere to the north of it, since that'd be the only thing that could cause it that would make any sense at all, in terms of what I could see that was happening.

And, a building a few houses north had a lower-level apartment where someone had turned an overhead lamp on, but that was way too faint a light source, so I walked just a few more feet north, and suddenly I could see that a huge bright ray of sunlight was reflecting off a second story back window on the south side of that same building.

So, I then walked south and down the next street, to see if I could see how the ray of light beamed in, and despite all the high trees all around, it became clear that there was this one angle in a tree gap that allowed a huge ray of light from the setting sun to come straight down the alley, reflect off that one window, and then come onto the north side of my house where I had originally seen that bright spot of light that had caused me to start my whole investigation.

When I was just upon the point of discovery, too, I bumped into my one (scrawny) (hispanic) (undergraduate) neighbor, coming down the street to come home.

"Look at that!", I was like, pointing to the patch of light, and then I pointed at the overhead lamp in the one apartment, and he agreed that it was too faint to cause the light, and then I walked a few steps north and saw the reflecting window thing going on, and he agreed that must have been the light source, too.

"People really do have more time here," I was like, to him. "Look at me, I'm kind of wandering around the neighborhood trying to figure out what's causing a fucking patch of light. Like, what the fuck."

No comments: