Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Some observations on my new workplace...

...of the retirement village where I now work: A number of the (white) women have slight southern accents, and they serve mayo salads, a Friday sandwich bar, meat loaf with like a ketchup/barbecue glaze on it, and jello with frozen strawberries in it, with the syrup apparently mixed into the jello. On Easter they also had all these eggs and bunnies everywhere, and I was like, "What the fuck?", and then I remembered that of course my experiences of the annual cycle at a retirement place would be different than most, having worked for almost four years at a resthome from another faith tradition. It is striking, though, that the place that I'm at is apparently secular, and you still get all of this (Christian)-associated crap in it as the default norm.

No comments: