Friday, May 13, 2022

Job training interactions (2 of 2): Lifting devices.

At the new retirment village where I work, they're very proudly a "no lift" facility, which means that you have these strange mobile motor-and-strap-and-sling devices that puts people up into standing positions or bundles them up like a baby, and then you can cart them around everywhere. With the one (middle middle-aged) (white) (brown-haired) nurse who was training us, when me and another trainee and some students from a healthcare class at a local community college were all having to practice, I couldn't help but comment stuff like "Doesn't this look like something from Six Flags?", and, "I feel like we're at Six Flags." That really made her pause and laugh, as when I was initiating the use of the lift on another student and was like, "Welcome to Six Flags," and maybe something like, "Safety is our highest priority." Later, at the end of the session, I went up to her and was like, "That was nice, but when do we learn about the roller coaster and the bumper cars? I want to learn the roller coaster and the bumper cars," and again that made her pause and laugh and flash this little smile. (White) women seem to laugh like that around here, or at least some of them.

No comments: