Friday, January 28, 2022

Long-term reading projects (2 of 2): Josephus.

So, after the second edition of our "long distance summer book club" this past summer - we each read a scholarly work and discuss it over the phone in apt chunks - my one (Mormon) colleague was saying that he's always wanted to read all of Josephus, and it would be fun to do it together. So, for my housewarming present, he bought me a one-volume edition of this old translation of all of Josephus's works, and he's already starting to read the Autobiography, though he's busy with this semester's classes already and he won't be able to really devote time to it until after his classes end. He also said his mother wanted to read it because some relative of hers had a copy of Josephus growing up, so she's started reading the Autobiography already, too. So, I think after I finish the Hebrew Bible, I'm going to read the Autobiography and then wait for him to discuss it, and while I'm doing that, I'll spin my wheels and work on the Dead Sea Scrolls in translation. Then, this summer I'll switch to reading Josephus intensively whenever he's ready, and then move back to the Dead Sea Scrolls and then go back to the New Testament, to finish off my course of reading the entire Bible in translation. And then after that, whenever that is, I'll read some classic apocrypha collections, then move on to the Gnostic gospels. Such plans! Such fun. "Living my best life."

No comments: