Saturday, December 25, 2021

New college town people (2 of 8): Bank.

At the one local bank where I went to go set up a savings/checking account, they had some brochures with a cartoon tomato character on them advertising savings programs for children, and also like a three-foot cut-out of the same character sitting in the corner of the bank lobby, by a treasure chest of Christmas toys for children with handwritten instructions posted on it that you can take only one, and if you take more, you have to share it with your brother or sister.

So, after like forty-five minutes of setting up my accounts, the (white) (later middle-aged) (permed) bank lady asked me if I had any questions, so I said I did, and I quickly went through everything that we had just gone over, summarizing all the different steps that would be coming up (when my money would clear, when I'd get my debit card, etc.), and double-checking that I had understood everything correctly, which I did.

Then, after that, she was like, "Anything else?", again.

"Yeah," I was like. "Why is your children's mascot a tomato?"

"Oh," she was like, "Every spring we give people tomato plants, we're known for that."

. . .

(During the middle of the account process, a [middle-aged] [out-of-it] [scruffy] [black] guy came up to the teller window with a ten euro note, asking to cash it, and when they said they couldn't do it, asking to find out how much it was worth, and they told him, and he went away.)

No comments: